Position Description: Chief Advancement Officer (CAO)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Created: February 22, 2021
- Drive, develop, and communicate strategic marketing insights, tools, and standardized frameworks supporting ELS strategy and planning, working with the senior leadership team to translate institutional strategic goals into focused marketing objectives.
- Ability to deliver bottom-line results through strategic marketing efforts.
- Must thrive in a highly collaborative and mission-driven culture.
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels in the organization.
- Partner with key stakeholders and other functional areas to accomplish key goals and objectives that align with the business.
- Develop and help execute marketing strategies for fundraising programs.
- Ability to develop and execute long-term, intermediate, and short-term communication and marketing strategies.
- Transformational and charismatic leadership style to establish a high-performance team.
- Lead and manage a high-performing team to execute at a high level of efficiency and demonstrate strong abilities in coaching, mentoring, leading, and hiring diverse teams.
- Performs supervisory activities, including selection processes, performance assessment, and corrective action.
- Identify training needs and recommend appropriate development programs for employees.
- Create holistic, goal-oriented marketing and communications strategies.
- Ensure consistency in brand management and increase brand awareness of ELS.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive program with an appropriate mix of sponsored content and editorial coverage to create innovative campaigns that inspire engagement opportunities and assist in fundraising efforts.
- Define the communication strategy and propose adequate budgetary planning.
- Leverage digital channels to drive brand awareness, engagement, content sharing, and donor retention and re-engagement.
- Lead the social, web, and email strategies to support ELS's mission, programs, and the organization's positioning in the non-profit sector.
- Oversee the development of marketing materials (direct mail, email marketing campaigns, etc.).
- Employ a keen sense of what 'makes' a great story, compelling key stakeholders to recognize ELS as the primary provider in its industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of NFP innovation that fuels strategy and success in securing national media coverage.
- Develop relationships with the media (local media and national media) in ELS key markets at the divisional levels for statewide opportunities and cultivate relationships with local and national media outlets to secure journalists' interest, resulting in outstanding spontaneous media coverage.
- Oversee Google AdWords Grant and work closely with data analysts to maximize the use of these platforms.
- Develop a comprehensive marketing and branding strategy in conjunction with the CEO.
- Continue to build a distinct brand-identity for ELS, its social enterprises, and unique programs.
- Oversee the digital transformation, including website updates, content and development, creation of sales materials, and crafting of engaging messaging.
- Develop and execute an annual marketing plan for various divisions, detailing initiatives, and activities.
- Lead and effectively communicate important news, events, marketing plans, and successes.
- Ensure public relations efforts accurately reflect proper corporate messaging.
- Assists senior management team with the development of key internal announcements and plans.
- Streamline the marketing process and manage the marketing budget.
- Effectively work within the organization to prioritize strategies for development and marketing efforts.
- Proactively build collaborative relationships with key staff and Board of Directors within Evergreen and existing stakeholders.
- Responsible for the planning and oversight of development programs, including major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, annual giving campaign, events, and planned giving. Responsible to work with the Development Team to assure successful implementation and outcomes, and in increasing sustainable unrestricted support through all development efforts.
- Supervise marketing, communications, events, and brand strategy for the organization.
- Create competitive and breakthrough strategies that demonstrate a clear connection between vision and action.
- Work closely with the CEO to deepen existing funder relationships, as well as identify, cultivate, and solicit new donors.
- Lead the process for prioritizing philanthropic projects and identifying prospect donors with input from the CEO.
- Evaluate and drive the use of new technology funding vehicles including social media and revamping the organization's website and online tools for supporters.
- Develop metrics to measure development success.
- Effectively communicate development status to the CEO and the Board of Directors as determined by the senior management team.
- Demonstrate ability and willingness to provide support in a collaborative and team-oriented manner.
- Lead the Marketing and Development team to implement a marketing and media plan strategy as it relates to and supports development.
- Plan and monitor an operational budget for Development.
- Speak publicly and communicate the organization's programs, vision, and goals to the community effectively.
- Meet face-to-face with prospective and current donors, working closely with the Development Team and the CEO.
- Travel to divisions as necessary to support DDRs with major donors and build community relationships. Extensive travel is required.
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan for a non-profit with a national reach.
- Work with the management team (Direct Donor Relations [DDRs] and Executive Directors [EDs]) to define local strategy and media outreach.
- Provide oversight of all external communications with partners, donors, governmental officials, and the overall ELS community.
- Oversight of all internal communications initiatives.
- Leverage writing skills and knowledge of the non-profit industry and ELS services to develop thought leadership pieces and press releases for placement in publications nationally to leverage storytelling appropriately.
- Monitor relevant trends and topics in the industry and identify areas of opportunity.
- Use data analysis metrics (i.e., keywords, site traffic, etc.) to inform communication initiatives.
- Review all marketing materials to ensure adherence to brand image and compliance with the ELS Brand Guide.
- 10 years of relevant experience including 5 years in a leadership role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, creativity, self-starter, and the ability to quickly assess the communication needs and establish and execute plans to move forward.
- Demonstrated success in securing major donations.
- Demonstrated success in the development and execution of high-level development/fundraising strategies.
- Ability to manage, train, direct, supervise, motivate staff, and work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and make presentations to all sizes of groups and levels of personnel.
- Strong track record of developing integrated marketing campaigns, including target audience evaluation, segmentation, targeting, and feedback.
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing major marketing, promotional, and/or public relations campaigns at the local and national levels.
- Fluency in client targeting, segmentation, and use of digital marketing tools and technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of marketing and digital communications methodologies for the non-profit sector.
- Knowledge of digital marketing techniques, approaches, and strategies, including experience working with social and content-focused communities (Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.), e-communications, and website.
- Experience with media and social media tools.
- Ability to leverage data and analytics to prioritize and assess the impact of initiatives.
- Familiarity with marketing analytics.
- Good track record of successful communications planning and execution with measurable results.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to effectively prioritize several simultaneous projects while sometimes meeting short deadlines.
- High level of creativity and an entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Able to establish a deep understanding of ELS's various target markets.
- A Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, communication, or related field is required. A Master's degree is preferred.
- Solid understanding of all marketing and development disciplines (communications, public relations, etc.).
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Reports to the President/CEO
- Directly Supervises: Chief Development Officer; National Sales Director; Chief Communications Officer and Data Relations Director, and other positions as established
- Constantly moves about to coordinate work.
- Regularly works in fast pace environment with multiple task deadlines.
- Regularly moves and positions objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally exposed to viruses and infectious conditions
- Constantly alert and observant during working hours
- May be required to attend seminars or job-related training courses.
- Must have the ability to maintain good working relationships with Evergreen staff and with contacts from other agencies or entities.
- Must be able to prioritize work tasks.
- Extensive travel may occur.
- Must have a good driving record that meets the minimum requirements for Evergreen and reliable transportation. Must pass a drug screen and criminal background check. Must be able to work some evenings when required.
- General office environment.
- Can work remotely (preferably based out of Florida, Louisiana, or Texas).
Evergreen Life Services
I want more than just a job.
I want to make a difference in people’s lives.
I want to make a difference in my community.
We want to make a difference too. Working at Evergreen Life Services isn’t just a job; it’s a rewarding career. Sometimes that reward is a smile or a song from a resident, sometimes it’s the reward of knowing you helped a resident to learn daily life skills, like setting a table or preparing a meal. It could be watching a resident make beautiful artwork in one of our studios. Every day you will have opportunities to help those with intellectual or physical disabilities feel that they are a part of a community that cares.
Whether you provide direct care in our adult day care or in a group home, or you serve in a support or corporate office role, you will be an important part of the Evergreen team.
We have nearly 2000 employees and more than 1100 individuals served in eight states, including Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida.
If you are looking for a place where you can make a difference, at Evergreen Life Services you will change lives. Every employee is a valuable part of the team, because at Evergreen, everyone matters.
Evergreen, in its mission is to serve, provide for and champion individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is looking for qualified, caring individuals to work with us.
Company Website: evergreenls.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)